Friday, January 11, 2019

Should You Take A Tour Guide?


Check out my new website which is updated more often - www.crossingnewfoundlandbyatv.com.

I've done the trip 11 times and I've never used a guide because I wanted the freedom to take my time and explore. But, the trip is 1,000 km (600 miles) or more, depending on which route you take. (See the "What Route Should I Take" page for examples.) 
Attempting this trip without a guide the first time could be higher than your comfort level will allow for, and that's okay. 

It's not that difficult to plan. Download my GPS tracks install them on your GPS or Smartphone and read the rest of my blog.  If you're comfortable with a GPS or smartphone with a GPS AP like Locus, you can do this trip just following my tracks. Dozens of people have emailed me and told me they did the trip because of my blog. 

If you want to hire a guide for a day trip while you're already there I recommend hiring the folks at Pirate's Haven. They'll take you to beautiful spots you wouldn't find on your own. PLUS they have fantastic chalets you can rent for a night, or a few nights.

I hear some of these complaints from people that hired out of province guides so be sure to get a reference first.
-way too much highway riding (sometimes up to 100 km in a day!)

-customers feel rushed to get to their final destination every day 
-not enough stops for photos.

Guide CONS
  • Some guides run long sections of paved highways instead of trails. 
  • Cost - it will cost you more. I did it on my own in 2014 and it cost about $1,000.00 with a mix of motels and camping and spent $1,400.00 (total) in 2016 staying at motels and cabins each night. A guided trip could cost double that.
  • Don't have the satisfaction of knowing you did it on your own.
  • Your days are scheduled by someone else. It's nice to go at your own pace and stop when you want to for breaks and photos etc.
  • Some guides are not as knowledgeable as others. September 2016 I came across a group of guys using a guide service and they missed a lot of nice spots including the Gaff Topsail. I couldn't believe it. The Gaff is one of the best parts of the trip. Do some research on your guide before going and maybe ask if they have any references. 




No comments:

Post a Comment